Animation without bones and skin

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Hi everybody.

Im trying to get non skined animated mesh (animated bouncing ball from 3ds max, so no bones and skin) into my xna project with xen api. Is it possible? I was trying use Panda3D and *.x model but it miss bones.

Premediate thanks for reply.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:36 AM

You might want to look around for an exporter that supports vertex animation.

Or soft body physics to simulate your bouncing ball with no hardcoded animation at all.

Or if all you want is a really simple bouncing ball that squishes when it hits the ground in an uniform manner, maybe a vertex shader might do the trick. Pass the amount of "squishiness" to your shader to vertically scale your ball.

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Thanks larus for your reply, but it actually dont answer my question. I am using panda exportet which i believe support "vertex animation". My animation (ball on roulette) works fine with XNA Animation library, but not with XEN and i'm not sure, if XEN can handle animation without bones.

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2010 at 11:13 PM

I'm sorry, but xen doesn't support animations without vertex weighting. I simply didn't have anything to test it with when I built the animation system.

Sorry about that. If you can send me a simple example I can look into it, but honestly I have no idea how complex it would be.