Merge FBX Files

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Hello,

I have successfully exported my model/animations from 3DS Max in FBX format...WIN!! However, another problem has presented itself.

I need to merge my FBX file animations into 1 usable file, then call animation names through code. I have not been able to successfully parse the code so that I can use multiple animations.

If someone could present some code so that I know what needs to be changed to call multiple animations from one file, that would be great. I assumed you would just pull the 'Take' code and throw it in under the other 'Take' animation, but that didn't work.

Any suggestions appreciated, THANKS...

Coordinator
Mar 11, 2010 at 11:07 PM

Hi inewland, I'm sorry about the slow reply.

From what I understand, this is (unfortunately) a combination of limitations in 3DS max and the FBX sdk used in XNA. However, this was posted on the XNA forums:

You can save each of your animations as different ascii fbx files, go into the files and rename and copy the take, and paste the take into your main animation file. This will allow you to have multiple takes in 1 file, and will also let you know the takes something other than Take 001. It's a hack solution, but if you make a utility for it either using your own code or the FBX sdk, it becomes much more automated.

Apparently, Motion Builder also export FBX files with multiple takes (or 'tracks'). Apparently.

Unfortunately, I'm not a content guy - so I'm not sure. :-(

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM
Edited Mar 20, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Unfortunately i'm still having a hard time putting those takes into the file. I keep getting an error when trying to call a specific animation which always returns (-1).

I will continue to try and get these merged, but if anyone can post an example file that would help a lot.

If I get anything working, i'll get an example posted.

Thanks

-- EDIT --

Ok I got it working finally...I had my takes pasted in the wrong spot.

;Materials animation
        ;----------------------------------------------------

;Constraints animation
        ;----------------------------------------------------
    }

//******* YOUR 'Take: "Take_001"' goes here (for your second animation) ************

}
;Version 5 settings
;------------------------------------------------------------------