This project is read-only.

Animations getting deformed

Apr 18, 2010 at 3:40 AM

A few pictures will probably say more than 100 of my words regarding this.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/3102820/1/Bugg?h=857cd3

So the issue is that the current models used in a project of mine gets more and more deformed the further they get into the animation. I'm using XEN to handle animations

but tried using Skinning sample with same result.

Here's the thing tough, the animations works perfectly inside 3dsMAX but also in Unity. Talked to some people and think there might be something when transforming the bones
that a certain value increases by some factor so that the bone positions gets more and more off the further into the animation it goes. I think this is something that Unity and
3dsMax is able to handle by resetting the value or something but that's not something that's programmed into neither the Skinning sample nor XEN.

If it's something you recognize or something you can help pinpoint I'd be grateful, not expecting much tough seeing this might be a general issue but maybe it has popped up before

for someone using XEN!

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:59 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2010 at 12:03 AM

If the same thing is occuring in the XNA Skinning sample, then unfortunately there isn't much I can do to help you. :-(

All FBX importing goes through Microsofts FBX content pipeline process - which unfortunately cannot be changed.
However I do know that they are using a very old version of the FBX sdk, which doesn't support a number of features (such as correctly picking up multiple takes within one file!).

Also, I will mention they hard limit the model format to 4 weights per vertex. It *does* sort the weights and take the first 4, then normalise them to add up to 1. But if you are using very complex weighting, then that might be the cause.

It almost looks like the coordinate systems are being messed up...

The best thing I can suggest is post a this question on the XNA forums about exporting your model for the XNA Skinning sample.

Apr 19, 2010 at 9:25 AM

"It almost looks like the coordinate systems are being messed up..."

Something like that, seems like it was solved by Resetting XForm inside 3dsmax before starting to skin, must've been something with the transforms.

Apr 19, 2010 at 1:34 PM

That's good to hear. :-)