Error normalizing vertex bone weights. BoneWeightCollection does not contain any weighting values.

May 10, 2010 at 6:59 PM
Hi, I really need some help with this error it feels like i tried everything. I get this error when i try to compile FBX to XNB. ERROR: Error normalizing vertex bone weights. BoneWeightCollection does not contain any weighting values. I have googled this error but the only answers i get is that there is something wrong with the FBX, more exactly there are vertexes not connected to a bone. But i know that this is not the case because i have other people in my project using and compiling these FBX files to XNB and it works for them. So naturally i examine what the differences in our computers could be but i can't find any. I have the same references for Xen in my project as them and we all have the same laptops so... I use: Visual studio 2008 professional Xna 3.1 Xen 1.8.1 Direct X SDK (February 2010) I recently re-installed these programs in the above order but with no result. There is something wrong with the way my computer tries to compile FBX files. Maby he mixes up ',' and '.' or something and that's what causes a problem when he reads the "Weights" i really don't know. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!
Coordinator
May 10, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help you much, this error is generated in internal XNA content pipeline code - it's not generated by any of my code.

However, I would like you to check if the same error occur if you try and build the FBX as a standard XNA model. If it doesn't, then clearly I'm doing something wrong.
In that case, I'd appreciate if you could send me the model.

Currently I do not support animating rigid sub-meshes (ie, parts of the model have no weights at all, and are fixed to a single bone). It's possibly what is going wrong (It's something I would like to support, but I simply don't have any models to test with)

May 13, 2010 at 9:22 PM
Ok, thanks for the reply. I am quite sure it is something wrong with my computer since my project members can compile the FBX files.