Is Xen a stand-alone API?

May 19, 2010 at 7:28 AM
As an average (german!!) developer. if I have found no easy way to combine other XNA-Stuff with Xen. e.g. Farseer, XNA-Based code-snipped. Is this right?
May 19, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Hi lordhelmchen3,

It depends what you call easy :)

Xen is designed from the ground up to wrap Xna to give developers another way of developing your games than using the Xna Game class and Components. You still can use GameComponents using the XnaComponents property on the Application class but StatusUnknown said a while back (not sure if it is true anymore) that it will be at your own risk as he wasn't sure of the overall behavior.

Xen can be used in many different ways. In my case, I'm using the Application/Update/Draw/Content based framework because I really love the way it structures your code and development using the IUpdate, IDraw and IContentOwner interfaces and adding them to the right Manager instances.

But I'm using TomShane Neoforce Controls library for my GUI, BEPUPhysics for my err... Physics :p, and DPSF for my Particle System (I'd love to use Xen's one but I'm just totally freaked to use it as I don't understand how to use them correctly) and it works perfectly.

Of course, it is harder to integrate than simply adding a GameComponent instance to the Xna Game instance you created but it gives you so much more control :) And at the end, it really worth it ;)

Philippe

May 19, 2010 at 12:33 PM

I realize that it is to early for me to make such interventions. I already fail with the attempt to transplant a simple GameStateManagement from http://creators.xna.com/en-us/samples/gamestatemanagement :-)

May 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM

That's quite simple to do actually :)

There is an example of a simple GameStateManagement implementation in the tutorial 27 if I remember correctly that demonstrates also Asynchronous content loading.

Philippe

May 19, 2010 at 5:50 PM
Edited May 19, 2010 at 6:29 PM

Tutorial 26 correctly. But this is a Xen-GameStateManagement and not the GameStateManagement that i mean. ;-) I think it is better to wait for a better version of XEN, that not need a own loop (Update, Draw etc.). Up to this time, i try to write my own simplified XEN named SimpelXEN.