This project is read-only.

Tipps and Tricks on Voxel/Volumetric Terrain

May 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Hi there,

first thank you for this great piece of work StatusUnknown! Xen is the best rendering approach ever seen + tons of nice additional features!

Now to the discussion theme:

I want to build a Volumetric Terrain for my game and tried this using a kind of Voxel based approach.

I used a simple Sphere or Cube drawer and a list of Vector4s.

each Vectro represents now the center of a piece of geometry + the size of it. This works quite good for now, but in fact it still looks , who guessed that, like a bunch of spheres.

Does anyone have an idea how to wrap it into 1 consistent surface, or at least smooth the geometry parts strong enough to make them look like a surface?

My system is in a very early stage, so if you would give me the advice to use a complete different approach you will be very welcome.

Kind regards

floAr

Jun 1, 2010 at 11:31 AM

You can group nearby spheres into sets of 3 and connect their centres with triangles.  Finding the appropriate groups so that the edges match up without any holes is non-trivial but it can be done efficiently.

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:34 PM
Thx for the suggestion sirhans, but i switched my approach and now use the marching cube algorithm. At the moment im working on a data structure which give me the power to use marchingcubes with culling and a kind of lod system.
Jun 2, 2010 at 3:58 AM

floAr,

This is not the best place to discuss game algorithms, but I'm interested to hear more about what you're working on, if you don't mind.  I'm doing something similar.  My email address is the same as my codeplex nick, @gmail.com.

-hans