DirectX Port?

Jun 22, 2010 at 8:28 PM

Wondering if you guys would be considering a DirectX Port... XNA Is great... but using DirectX Probably would equal less ram and more speed over Managed Code

Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010 at 5:14 PM
Edited Jun 23, 2010 at 5:15 PM

I have contemplated restructuring the API so that is uses XNA as a service, rather than a base. However it's not trivial, and would significantly impact large parts of the project.
At that point, you are looking at a project more like Axiom - much larger in scope and size. Not trivial.
It may be something I do in the future, but currently I don't have any plans to do this. If anything, I'd look at DX11 through the windows API codepack - but this would practically require a whole new API design to really exploit it.

As for moving away from managed code, I'll say outright I have no intention of ever doing that. I believe it'd be an exceptionally bad idea. You'd lose far, far too much and you would see no measurable performance or memory benefit (beyond very low level optimisations that C++ affords you, such as the ability to exploit vector intrinsics - which .net partially does anyway). I'd anticipate you'd actually see lower overall performance, higher memory usage and more cache issues due to fragmentation. Certainly you'd lose a lose of huge amount of flexibility.

The reality is that algorithms and memory management dictate performance - even on the xbox, where the .net runtime is utterly atrocious performance wise.