SlimDX port?

Jun 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM
That'd be awesome considering it's speed over XNA :D It's kind of weird that no one bothers making 3D engines with SlimDX even though it has everything that XNA has, maybe except some few high level stuff, but I'm fairly sure that those stuff can also be ported without any problems. It'll be really awesome to see such a powerful engine become the first SlimDX based 3D engine. Also, SlimDX is Mono compatible so we'll be able to have cross-platform apps/games :D What's stopping you from using SlimDX?
Coordinator
Jun 27, 2010 at 1:12 PM

It's nowhere near as simple as it might appear on the surface.

Ignoring any possible performance advantages (I personally do not believe you'd get a measurable difference), consider that XNA provides the content pipeline (including all asset types). Audio, controller and input support, networking through Live, xbox support, phone support (eventually), not to mention the whole core low level API (eg, something as simple as the Vector structures would need replacing).

It's something I'm considering, and keeping in mind - but it would be non-trivial in the extreme...

But I do appreciate your enthusiasm :-)