This project is read-only.

Render Screen on Video

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:38 PM
Hi. i would like to export the screen on a video file (avi or other format). As the logic process could be heavy, i don't need to make this in LIVE while showing the render on the screen (though it would be a good feature too). I mean that maybe my XEN application may slow down the fps and render UNDER 15 fps. So i would like to render a video that have 25/30fps and see it after rendering. It should works like the "Render animation" button of 3DsMax or C4D or other 3D software. I would like to render each frame to a video or a image sequence also if the rendering time will take much more time of the video length. The important is that the renderer must not skip any frame. How can i do this?
Aug 19, 2010 at 2:04 PM

Hi.

Unfortunately, my laptop has died - so I'm replying at work right now (it'll be a while until it's repaired). So there is only so much I can do to help.

However,

I can tell you that capturing video off the xbox is close to impossible without dedicated hardware - so I wouldn't even bother looking at that option. Your best bet with the xbox is the screenshot capture utility in the 360 device connection window.

For the PC, by far the best (and easiest) option is a program called FRAPS. It captures lossless video very efficiently (although it requires a beefy CPU and HDD with tonnes of space for high frame rate captures). You can then use a tool like virtualdub to recompress it. Fraps will even capture audio.

I hope that's what you are after. Cheers

Aug 19, 2010 at 5:14 PM
Edited Aug 19, 2010 at 5:16 PM

Ok, i was totally stupid as i don't wrote that i don't need this on XBOX... but i willl use it only on PC.

My goal is not to capture the screen, but render my calculated animation frame by frame and export each frame to jpeg  files or directly to an AVI video.

i don't need to view the render animation in live and i don't need to view in live 24fps. i just need that it can elaborate and export my animation in 24 fps. It's not important if each frame will take 20 seconds of rendering!

Just a feature would be that i can view in live the current frame that my PC is rendering and is going to save.

I need this because i'm simulating the physics of very complex theories and my raw code is very heavy to process... so i cannot expect to see in live a 24fps animation.

instead i want to elaborate in batch the animation and then SEE the video after the render of all frames is completed. the important is that if i will render an animation of 2 seconds, it will render and save 48 frames (24 fps) or 60 frames (30fps).

it would be the best if i can set also the size of exported frames (ie i want to export full hd animation  or 640x480)

is possible to do this in XEN?

thank you!