Update on Xen 2.0

Coordinator
Oct 13, 2010 at 11:22 PM

Hi all,

I've sorry I haven't replied to anyone recently. I've had very little free time the last few weeks (with my new job, a nasty cold, etc).

As for xen 2:
I have been working on fixing bugs in the beta, the shader system especially should be much more stable in the next release.

However,

I am struggling a *lot* with the xbox. I have a bad feeling XNA 4 might have a number of bugs, which I'm trying to track down. To put it simply, currently the following don't work:

Models,
Instancing,
Particles (in some cases),
And some really oddball things too*

Given I've had (at best) half an hour to an hour per night to look into this (if that) it's been slow going.
*There have also been some really, really weird issues. Although I've managed to get around them (for example, calling a method on IShader through Xen.Ex would crash. Great!

Hopefully it'll just be one or two root issues - but I have a horrible feeling there are some serious issues in XNA 4. Hopefully I'll be able to figure it out and get a reproducible if it is an XNA issue.

Once again, I do apologize for not replying to peoples questions.

Oct 14, 2010 at 3:02 AM

No worries, as much as we enjoy them hobbies just don't take priority.  As for the XNA 4 bugs, rather than spending the time to reverse engineer the runtime and find a workaround, it might more efficient to just wait for a patch and work on somethin else in the meantime.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:14 PM

I have to admit, getting stuck for so long on the animation/collision is giving me the fear, and XNA4 doesn't make me confident. It seems like they're pushing more for phone developers.