Xen 2.0 Beta2 Build Problem

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:30 PM

Hi all.

I've been trying to test the Xen 2.0 Beta2 but every time I try to run "build.bat" to build Xen2.0 I end up with 192 errors. The errors come from the fact that the shaders aren't compiling properly. For example, when compiling the filter shaders in the "Shader.fx" results in the following error:

// XenFX
// Assembly = Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool, Version=7.0.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e706afd07878dfca
// SourceFile = Shader.fx
// Namespace = Xen.Ex.Filters
// Error generating shader:
//The Shader System failed to generated Instancing / Animation methods for shader 'Shader.fx'
//To disable automatic generation of shader extensions, add the following line to the very top of the shader FX file:
////CompilerOptions = DisableGenerateExtensions
//
//Internal Error:
//The type initializer for 'Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool.Graphics' threw an exception. (line: 0 col: 0)

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Coordinator
Nov 10, 2010 at 9:59 PM

Hi

I have a bad feeling I know why this is... The constructor will be creating an xna device - and the shader builder requires a hi-def device, otherwise it can't  compile anything but shader model  2.0 shaders. (And 3.0+ is needed forthings like instancing)

And xna insists that you have a DirectX  10 capable card to run the hi-def profile. I imagine it is failiing to create the device.

Unfortunately there isn't anything I can do if this is the issue.

sorry :(

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM

Seems you were right.

I was testing this on my new laptop with a switchable graphics card configuration (Intel GMA HD and ATI 5470M). Although the Intel graphics card specifications state that this card is DirectX 10 capable it seems to fail against the HiDef settings. How about that? :D

Once I changed to the discrete graphic card (ATI 5470) it worked very well. Afterwards I've searched for "Intel vs HiDef" and found some posts (not very technical though) in msdn-forum stating that HiDef profile does not work on Intel graphics cards. DARN!

http://forums.create.msdn.com/forums/p/58913/392026.aspx

Thanks for the help! ;)

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Hmm I'm experiencing the same problems, but I'm pretty sure my graphics card is dx10. (can't check right now, at work)

But this kinda renders Xen 2.0 useless to me as I'm busy with a project that MUST run on non-dx10 cards also.

Dec 8, 2010 at 8:33 AM
djmulder wrote:

Hmm I'm experiencing the same problems, but I'm pretty sure my graphics card is dx10. (can't check right now, at work)

But this kinda renders Xen 2.0 useless to me as I'm busy with a project that MUST run on non-dx10 cards also.

Well aren't you done in... Perhaps you should figure something out yourself instead of complaining.

Here's an idea (might be possible, but i really doubt its worth the effort).  If the card only has to report dx10 HD compliance, perhaps it could be built in a VM using a compatible driver.