Problem with Build - Why not just deploy binaries?

Apr 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Edited Apr 21, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Hi

i have some troubles building the project. I removed the line suggested in http://xen.codeplex.com/discussions/248234, but that didn't helped, instead, i get 192 errors while building Xen.Ex.
As far as I can see there are many other people having also problems building the project. Why don't you just deploy binaries in addition to the source code?

I installed all the prerequisites required and I have an DirectX 10 compatible graphics card. Could it be the issue that my laptop uses NVIDIA Optimus to switch between video cards? I have an addional Intel HD card, which I think is in fact not capable of DirectX 10.

Have you any hints on how to build this library as it looks very interesting?

EDIT:

I found out that the shader.fx.cs file is generated but contains no source code but this error message:

// XenFX
// Assembly = Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool, Version=7.0.1.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e706afd07878dfca
// SourceFile = Shader.fx
// Namespace = Xen.Ex.Filters
// Unhandled exception in XenFX:
//System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.Native.dll' or one of its dependencies. Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.
//File name: 'Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.Native.dll'
//   at Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool.FX.DecompiledEffect..ctor(SourceShader source, Platform platform)
//   at Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool.FX.AsmTechnique.ExtractTechniques(SourceShader shader, Platform platform, DecompiledEffect& fx, String generatedPrefix) in d:\Libraries\xen\src\Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem\Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool\FX\Technique.cs:line 37
//   at Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool.FX.SourceShader.ExtractAsmTechniques(String generatedPrefix) in d:\Libraries\xen\src\Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem\Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool\FX\SourceShader.cs:line 122
//   at Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool.FX.SourceShader.Create(String shaderSource, String filename) in d:\Libraries\xen\src\Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem\Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool\FX\SourceShader.cs:line 47
//   at Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool.ShaderCodeGenerator.GenerateCode(String inputFileName, String inputFileContent, String fileNameSpace, CodeDomProvider codeProvider) in d:\Libraries\xen\src\Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem\Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.CustomTool\PluginEntry.cs:line 40
//
//

But I wasn't able to build that required project either. PLEASE Provide binaries, it would make life much easier!

EDIT:

Finally got it to work by manually compiling the native dll, references to the dx-sdk include directory were missing, but i had a last little problem with those include files. Vs didn't find "d3dx9.h" but it surely existed in the include directory, an absolute path solved the problem, same with d3dx9.lib, i really like to not where this issue comes from.

Cheers,
Fabian

May 4, 2011 at 11:23 AM

I'm experiencing exactly the same issue. Could you please in explain in some detail how you managed to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Coordinator
May 21, 2011 at 3:43 PM
Edited May 21, 2011 at 3:48 PM

I sincerely apologize for taking such a long time to reply, I have been very very busy and have not been checking the forum.

My suggestions are to try the following:
  (NOTE however that you will need to delete the xen directory and re-extract when re-running the build tool!)

First, try installing the DirectX June 2010 redist:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3b170b25-abab-4bc3-ae91-50ceb6d8fa8d

If that fails, then can you try:

Try installing the VS2010 C++ runtime,
  Try building the Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.Native.dll yourself - it's source is located in xen\src\Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem\Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem.Native. Its a C++/Cli project.
Try opening the shader build tool in dependency walker (http://www.dependencywalker.com/). This tool will say if there are any missing DLLs (Note however it reports IESHIMS.dll is missing on my machine, but runs OK)

Once again I apologize for the delay