This project is read-only.

Specular maps?

Jun 21, 2013 at 4:00 PM
Hi, I've recently gotten back into using Xen. I left off getting Bepuphysics working, anyways, does Xen support specular maps? I've searched the discussions here. But all I see is a bit about specular being added from the alpha of the normal maps. If someone wouldn't mind clarifying for me, that would be great. Thanks.
Jun 21, 2013 at 8:11 PM
I'm guessing you're referring to the existing Xen material system and the features it supports. I don't remember exactly what that system supports, but if it's missing what you want it to do, my suggestion would be to either dig into the material system and add the specular functionality needed, or completely do away with the existing material support and add your own shaders and materials to feed in whatever you think works properly. The latter is what I have been doing because the Xen shader library and material system is fairly limiting in the kinds of effects you can achieve.

I realize that's not much of an answer you were expecting, but it seems like the Xen samples try to highlight all of the features of the framework. If it's not there, then I'm guessing it's not available.
Jun 22, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Alright, sounds like I will be getting back into HLSL. Thanks Abuzer. Are you interested in ever adding onto the tutorials? I have some shaders and demo scenes from when I was trying to make my own graphics solution. I would be happy to donate them.
Jun 22, 2013 at 11:37 PM
No unfortunately I'm not really modifying the tutorials. When I need to make changes, I'm usually making them in my local branch which is only used in my own project. Some of the changes are also breaking changes, I so I don't think I can easily push them back without making a new release, which sadly I don't have the time to do.