Features List on Website?

Jul 23, 2009 at 6:01 AM

we see in youtube the sheer awesomeness of the engine! but what are its features ( Occlusion Culling, Normal Mapping, Lights, etc.,), still downloading :D) and what are your Specs on PC?

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Hi. Thanks for the feedback :-) I saw your posts on the videos.
As for xen, it's not so much an engine as a API with some fun extras on top. The core is intended to be fairly simple but solid. I've tried to avoid the 'kitchen sink' design that a lot of engine projects get stuck into.
Which is why there isn't really a feature list. What's on the front page is pretty much it. There was a bullet point feature list at one point, however it was difficult to maintain, and I don't really think it will impress anyone. I'm not going to have any buzz word graphical techniques on there - such as SSAO or the like. I guess the point is, if you want them, they are easy to build provided you understand the principals they are built on. :-)
Easy shader integration and dealing with XNA's quirks aren't sexy features for sure.

There are a few places where I've given in, however I actually feel these are the weakest part of the codebase.