This project is read-only.

PSA (1.7, etc)

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Hi everyone.

Just a heads up as to what is going on.
I'm now in the UK, I'm getting settled in (these things take a while!)

I know I've been very inactive, and slow to respond - but I hope it's understandable why :-)

I've got myself an xbox now, and I am slowly bring together a new update. It's not a big one, so don't get your hopes too high. But I'd hope I can get it out in the next week or two.
I'm finding I only have so much time and energy to mess around with xen, not so much I'm bored of it however.

With all that said, I don't anticipate any major big releases after 1.7. Fixes and teaks, sure, but I don't see any huge new features going in.

As a rundown for 1.7, there are a few nice things:

• Lots of fixes!
  • Avatars, using very similar code to ModelInstance, with the same animation system under the hood
  • Lots of tweaks and fixes to the shader system. Including full boolean support for SM3 static branching (preshaders included).
  • A couple of new examples

I know it may not sound like much, but there are quite a lot of fixes in there.
The avatar code works quite nicely. The animation compression works really well with their animations - the XNA avatar sample produces .xnb animation files that are roughly 6x bigger. However, to run the example for this will require downloading some of the sample content from the creators website. (I can't redistribute it, as it's premium content - plus the .fbx files are *HUGE*)

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Congrats StatusUnknown! Cannot wait for 1.7 and see what we get from it ;)

Oct 7, 2009 at 1:35 PM
Edited Oct 7, 2009 at 1:35 PM

>>A couple of new examples I'd like to see something like water with effects of reflection and refraction in the future examples.

(for example http://www.codeplex.com/XNACommunity/Wiki/View.aspx?title=Water )

Thanks for your work!