2D game

Oct 28, 2009 at 6:17 PM

This maybe is a silly question, but have to ask it.

Is this API proper for a pure 2D game? I mean, I need particles, a nice camera, easy to implement effects and a good screen management system with good performance compatible with the 360. Should I go for Xen or should I go for something simpler? I ask because after reading a lot of forum posts, most of the people use this for 3D apps.ç

Thanks for the answer/suggestions.

Coordinator
Oct 29, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Hello. I'm not going to lie, Xen is certainly targeted primarily at 3D applications, I did this because I feel XNA does an OK job of supporting 2D applications - with the likes of sprite batch, but fails pretty badly when it comes to 3D. The lack of any consistent world / view / projection matrices is a good example.
So honestly if you are looking to make a 2D game, it will depend on how useful you find the extra features, such as the particle system and also how useful you find the general state management, etc. You may not find these useful, or you may find an XNA component.

Generally, a lot of the work I've put into xen (such as all the work with shaders, lighting, animation, etc) doesn't have a huge amount of use in a simple 2D game. Xen does have a set of 2D rendering components, however these are geared more for consistency than speed (although it has support for high speed sprite batches - but these by their nature aren't terribly flexible).

I hope that helps.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Thanks StatusUnknown! I'll check how the extra features could help me before considering using Xen. Anyway, I did a quick tour around the tutorials, and I must say that is pretty impressive, congratulations, maybe I should consider my next project as a 3D game.