The quickguide says:

Xen: Graphics API for XNA
www.codeplex.com/xen

version 1.6 (XNA 3.0)

-- Quick Start:

1.) Run 'xen prebuild' batch file
2.) Open ./xen/Tutorials.sln

I press F5 and get the following

Error    1    The type or namespace name 'ShaderSystem' does not exist in the namespace 'Xen.Graphics' (are you missing an assembly reference?)    ...\xen\src\Xen\Camera\CameraControl.cs

I tried to fix this by replacing the Xen, Xen.Ex and Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem references. Replacement of Xen and Xen.Ex is fine, but there is no "Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem" project that can be added!!!
I got around this by adding more projects - The "Xen.Graphics.ShaderSystem" included

Now, there are only 19 errors - starting with Shader.fx.cs not being there - tried to search in the folder, but it isn't there.

- Im stuck, can anyone help me?

- Can anyone write a quickguide that "just" work?

- or even better - is there a project that just work when clicking F5 in open source or any other source files that uses Xen

If this information has any value

Clean install of Windows 7 including .NET Framework 3.5 + Visual Studio 2008 (not express) + XNA 3.1

Here is something we can discuss:

Is it just me or is there to many problems for XEN-noobs to get started using Xen? QuickStart Engine V. 0.2 is a 5 click minor setup -> you got a world with heightmap, lights, some ingame entities and a free camera that can "shoot" and not a single problem with errors, missing references or any other problems. QuickStart may not have the full feature list but it fulfills the two ultimative features of a software engine:

1) it works

2) it takes away a lot of the hardcore programming that is needed to setup the game world

In my opinion you can have the best open source game engine in the world having every thinkable game-production-feature and at the same time have the most optimised algorithms. But any open source project is worth nothing if the downloadable versions doesn't start. And then we haven't even started talking about documentation, roadmap, tutorials and testing which adds enormous value but isn't fundamental for projects.

Dennis

Oct 30, 2009 at 11:22 AM

What errors were reported when you ran the prebuild?

Oct 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM

I didnt have a copy so i ran the prebuild once more and it says 0 Errors and 0 Warnings even tho it didnt look right when it ran

And - not it runs just fine i can run all the Tutorials..

I have NO clue

I guess we can delete this thread